By Kelly Hockenberry, Columnist, The Times
Friday was my birthday. With age comes wisdom, they say. And, considering that I am hardly a spring chicken, I suppose I have learned a few life lessons. Wouldn’t it be nice of me to make an enumerated list for as many years as I have been on this planet? It sure would…but, then I would be outing myself and I prefer an air of mystery. (I will delete any of my friends who leave evidence in the comment section).
Plus, this article would turn into a novel and no one has time for that on a Sunday. You will need to be satisfied with my top five:
- Make your bed every morning. Seems innocuous, but I think that a tidy room is a window into the organization of the brain. Start the day in an orderly way and chances are you will get more accomplished. (I wish that I could add “put clean laundry in drawers” but that would be downright crazy. Perhaps I will accomplish this task by the time I turn 80. Stay tuned.)
- Exercise, even when you don’t feel like it. Did you know that researchers believe that 30 minutes a day is the equivalent of a low dose antidepressant (without the side effects)? Totally worth it. Plus, you will look and feel younger than your chronological age.
- Never stop learning. Although, at this point in my graduate school journey, I am ready to never open a nonfiction book again, keeping my mind active by researching and writing does keep me on my toes.
- Buy a pair of denim that makes you feel like a million bucks. This IS a fashion column, after all. I swear, if you spend a few extra dollars on one thing in your closet…make it a fun pair of jeans. When they are classic and high quality, no one will know that you are wearing the same pair over and over. I promise.
- It’s OK to sweat the small stuff. You read that correctly. I think it’s natural. I’m certainly NOT advocating drowning in minutiae; but, taking care of the little things often results in answers to life’s bigger issues.
What are YOUR words of wisdom? Please, leave your suggestions in the section below.